Subject: Re: bug#1702: [PATCH]: feature request: correctly display single file zip archive

From: Rasmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 14:22:36 +0100

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think it would be nice to go directly to the single file in these
> archives, but, on the other hand, it might be kinda surprising.  If
> you're visiting an archive, you expect to see the list of files in the
> archive.  For one type of archives (ones with a single file in them) to
> work differently may be too inconsistent.
>
> So I dunno...  others who want to chime in?

If I get the zip from somewhere I probably don't know it's a single-file
zip beforehand. . .  So maybe displaying it in tar-mode (or whatever
it's called) and requiring one more RET is better.

How about a zip file that contains only one folder and one file, like
    folder/
    folder/txt

I don't necessarily agree that the proposed behavior is the logically
correct thing to do in the case of an archive that is not "obviously"(?)
a file (like foo.el.gz).

—Rasmus

-- 
However beautiful the theory, you should occasionally look at the evidence