Subject: Re: bug#1702: [PATCH]: feature request: correctly display single file zip archive

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:51:36 +0100

Matthew Leach <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think the advantage gained here is transparent editing of compressed
> files, like how Emacs can read .el.gz files without having to manually
> decompress them first.

If it were possible to edit files inside archives, that would be great.
But that's a pretty major undertaking, I think.

> Of course, if you think the user-visible change is too substantial
> without much benefit, I shall make the current behaviour default.
> Thoughts?

I think it would be nice to go directly to the single file in these
archives, but, on the other hand, it might be kinda surprising.  If
you're visiting an archive, you expect to see the list of files in the
archive.  For one type of archives (ones with a single file in them) to
work differently may be too inconsistent.

So I dunno...  others who want to chime in?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no