Subject: Re: bug#17017: Fw: sort program question my error

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:11:59 -0600

forcemerge 17016 17017
close 17016
thanks

Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> >My first posting.

Welcome to the community!  Let me gently nudge you to use the
[email-masked] mailing list for questions and discussion.  Sending
bug reports to the bug-coreutils address opens a bug ticket for each
new message there.  Your two messages one after the other opened up
two seperate bug tickets.

> Disregard my previous posting

Because the two bug tickets are open I am merging them together and
closing them with this message.  That is what the merge and close
commands above do.  Open bug tickets mean that the issue won't get
forgotten and therefore cannot be ignored or disregarded.

> In my doc, I did not apply export as ...
> 
> #!/bin/bash
> export LC_ALL=C
> Without the export 

Yes.  Needs the export.

This is actually a libc locale collation ordering issue.  When libc
changed every other piece of software on the system was affected and
not just sort.  And as you might imagine this is also an FAQ.  Please
see the FAQ entry for the standard answer to these questions.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/#Sort-does-not-sort-in-normal-order_0021

I hope this doesn't put you off posting questions, issues, or bugs in
the future.  We welcome your participation.  Please do so on the
[email-masked] mailing list.  No bug tracking system there.  Just a
discussion list.  :-)

Bob