Subject: Re: bug#16998: with-slots should expand to cl-symbol-macrolet

From: David Engster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:52:59 +0100

Eric M. Ludlam writes:
> On 03/12/2014 02:00 PM, David Engster wrote:
>> However, I think that there's no problem to "officially" state that
>> EIEIO development now happens in Emacs, and that the version in CEDET
>> will not get updated anymore, but will remain there as a fallback
>> library for older Emacsen (similar to what Gnus does).
>>
>> Eric, would you be OK with that? That would allow us to update the
>> built-in EIEIO to current Emacs coding standards without breaking
>> CEDET-from-bzr on older Emacsen.
>
> This proposal is fine by me.  Short term we will just need to find a
> good way to have standalone CEDET bootstrap in with either the Emacs
> version, or with the one in CEDET.

Yes. I'd move EIEIO upstream in some 'fallback-libs' directory or
similar, and put this in load-path when Emacs version is <23.4 during
compilation as well as when CEDET is loaded.

>   Eventually this will become unnecessary.

Yes. Our minimum version currently is 23.2, and as long as it does not
become too painful, there's no need to bump it.

> The CEDET bootstrapping still cares about some features missing from
> Emacs (according to the comments) such as:
>
>   ;; Currently, Emacs proper doesn't track EIEIO methods.  Until it
>   ;; does, we have to advice `describe-variable' and `describe-function'
>   ;; for EIEIO methods to get better help buffers.
>
>  and
>
>   ;; This adds further formatting and hyperlinks.
>   (add-hook 'temp-buffer-show-hook 'eieio-help-mode-augmentation-maybee t)

Actually, that feature will be part of the upcoming 24.4 release, so it
won't be needed there.

> I think we will just need to check the Emacs version, and change how
> we bootstrap and compile.  I'm interested in any advice on this.

I don't think this should be too difficult, but if it turns out to be a
nightmare, I think we could bump the minimum version to 23.4 without
alienating too many people...

-David