Subject: Re: bug#16998: with-slots should expand to cl-symbol-macrolet

From: David Engster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:00:32 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> Currently with-slots expands to symbol-macrolet
>> but should instead expand to cl-symbol-macrolet.
>
> Current EIEIO still uses `cl' rather than `cl-lib', because it's part of
> CEDET which wants to run on older Emacsen.
>
> I'm waiting for the CEDET guys to drop EIEIO from CEDET (and rely on
> Emacs's builtin EIEIO instead) to move EIEIO to `cl-lib'.
>
> Some rumors make me think it could happen "real soon now", but it's been
> that way for a while now, so maybe the rumor is wrong, or my
> understanding of it is wrong.

Yes, I'm sorry about causing this confusion. I tried to remove it, but
it turned out to be more difficult than it looked, mostly because of the
changes we made w.r.t. the EDE security fix, which introduced
type-checking for slots. Older EIEIO versions in Emacs <23.4 don't have
that, which make them pretty much incompatible with current CEDET, which
is why we still have it upstream.

However, I think that there's no problem to "officially" state that
EIEIO development now happens in Emacs, and that the version in CEDET
will not get updated anymore, but will remain there as a fallback
library for older Emacsen (similar to what Gnus does).

Eric, would you be OK with that? That would allow us to update the
built-in EIEIO to current Emacs coding standards without breaking
CEDET-from-bzr on older Emacsen.

-David