Subject: bug#16996: 24.3.50; [ruby-mode] Incorrect indentation for implicit hash arguments

From: Bozhidar Batsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:53:57 +0200

The following code is indented properly:

top(x, { a: 1,
         b: 2 })

Removing the hash literal curly braces, however, breaks the indentation:

top(1, a: 1,
    b: 2)

Ideally the code would be indented like this for consistency's sake:

top(1, a: 1,
       b: 2)

I'm not sure, however, that we can do this for the Ruby 1.9 syntax,
because a and b might very well be keyword args. On the other hand
there's no ambiguity when using =>:

top(1, :a => 1,
    :b => 2)

top(1, :a => 1,
       :b => 2)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2014-03-04 on bozhidar-home.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD --without-dbus
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs
 --without-gnutls --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Ruby

Minor modes in effect:
  subword-mode: t
  ruby-tools-mode: t
  inf-ruby-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  guru-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  prelude-global-mode: t
  prelude-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-k S t r i n g s-/ s-/
s-/ <backspace> C s-/ <return> <return> t o s <backspace>
_ s SPC w i t h SPC a r g u m e n t s SPC s h o u l
d SPC n o t SPC t r i g g e r SPC a n SPC o f e n <backspace>
<backspace> f e n s e . SPC <backspace> C-a C-f C-f
C-f C-f C-f C-e C-c C-c P P l l q <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-h
C-a q s-r t e s t <return> C-n C-n C-n C-n C-a C-k
C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k <return> <return> t o p ( ,
<backspace> 1 , SPC 2 , SPC 3 , SPC : <backspace> :
a <backspace> <backspace> b <backspace> : <backspace>
a : SPC 1 , C-j <tab> : <backspace> b : SPC 2 <tab>
C-e C-p C-p C-n C-e C-b C-b C-b C-b C-d SPC = > C-n
C-b C-b C-b <backspace> SPC = > C-a <tab> C-p C-p C-n
C-n <tab> C-p C-p C-n C-e C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b
C-b C-f { C-d C-SPC SPC SPC C-n <tab> C-b SPC } <tab>
C-p C-p C-n C-a C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-d C-d
C-d C-d C-d C-d C-n <tab> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <return>
C-y C-a C-SPC C-e M-w C-p C-p C-p C-b C-b C-b <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> a <backspace> a
: N <backspace> C-n C-f C-f C-f C-f <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
b : SPC 2 <tab> C-e C-e <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o
r t e m a c s <return>

Recent messages:
Reverting buffer `cider/README.md'. [3 times]
Saving file /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb...
Wrote /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb
Mark set
Indenting region...done
Mark activated
Source files should end with a newline (\n).
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb...
Wrote /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bozhidar/.emacs.d/elpa/flycheck-20140107.305/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/Users/bozhidar/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-20120406.2251/tabulated-list hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail hippie-exp superword subword
ruby-tools inf-ruby ruby-mode-expansions smartparens-ruby ruby-mode smie
jka-compr rst eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe yaml-mode ffap
url-parse url-vars executable misearch multi-isearch mule-util
magit-key-mode magit view epa derived epg epg-config diff-mode
git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode server log-edit message rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
vc-git markdown-mode noutline outline rainbow-mode color
rainbow-delimiters elisp-slime-nav guru-mode prelude-key-chord key-chord
prelude-xml nxml-mode-expansions html-mode-expansions smartparens-html
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok prelude-scheme prelude-ruby prelude-perl
prelude-org prelude-js prelude-erc erc-truncate erc-autoaway
erc-spelling erc-notify erc-log erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
prelude-emacs-lisp prelude-css prelude-common-lisp slime-autoloads
prelude-clojure prelude-lisp prelude-c prelude-programming flycheck
help-mode rx f which-func imenu prelude-ido smex flx-ido flx
ido-ubiquitous warnings ido prelude-osx exec-path-from-shell
prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor winner undo-tree diff esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util re-builder whitespace browse-kill-ring
midnight ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired-x dired anzu projectile pkg-info
find-func grep compile s bookmark pp expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-custom expand-region-core flyspell
ispell tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
format-spec etags ring volatile-highlights hl-line windmove recentf
tree-widget wid-edit savehist saveplace diminish smartparens-config
smartparens autorevert filenotify delsel prelude-mode easy-mmode edmacro
kmacro prelude-core epl advice help-fns dash thingatpt prelude-ui
zenburn-theme prelude-packages finder-inf ace-jump-mode-autoloads
ack-and-a-half-autoloads diminish-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
flx-autoloads eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
grizzl-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads key-chord-autoloads
logito-autoloads info easymenu move-text-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads request-autoloads
cl-macs gv caml-autoloads volatile-highlights-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads package cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)