Subject: bug#16996: 24.3.50; [ruby-mode] Incorrect indentation for implicit hash arguments

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 21:25:22 +0300

On 29.05.2021 11:55, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> The current indentation in Ruby here seems pretty natural to me, so I'm
> closing this bug report.

We should probably reopen it. It's not very urgent (as the bug creation 
date will confirm), but I wanted to get around to this someday.

Bozhidar, could you confirm it's still needed (or good to have)?

I wanted to find some style guide or other solid description of this 
style, but haven't managed to.

Ruby Style Guide strategically avoids this example, and 
https://www.rubydoc.info/gems/rubocop/0.83.0/RuboCop/Cop/Layout/HashAlignment 
and 
https://www.rubydoc.info/gems/rubocop/0.83.0/RuboCop/Cop/Layout/ArgumentAlignment 
do that too.

Despite that, I actually have to deal with this implicit recommendation 
on a regular basis at work, because when both cops are enabled, Rubocop 
will frown on

   top(1, :a => 1,
     :b => 2

and

   top 1, a: 1,
       b: 2

I do remember style like

   top(1, :a => 1,
          :b => 2)

being popular back in the day, but AFAICT a lot of editors now (like 
Atom and VS Code) don't support it either.