Subject: Re: bug#16988: 24.3.50; emacs -nw -Q --eval '(kill-emacs)' takes 2 seconds unless I hit a key

From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:08:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> I cannot reproduce this.  I get the same 0.330s time with both current
> trunk and Emacs 24.3.  That's on this system:
>
>   eliz@fencepost:~/bzr/emacs/trunk$ uname -a
>   Linux fencepost.gnu.org 2.6.32-48-server #1trisquel3 SMP Mon Jun 17 20:00:36 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> My crystal ball says that your TERM variable points to xterm, but your
> terminal either isn't xterm or doesn't support the kind of queries
> that xterm--query on xterm.el uses.  That function indeed waits for 2s
> for the terminal to respond. 

Your crystal ball works well : I use gnome-terminal and that sets TERM
to xterm. I'll have to figure out the best way to fix that. using
TERM=gnome fixes the problem, but I don't know if that's TRT, and I
don't know either where I should set that.  I've read that:
> if [ "$COLORTERM" = "gnome-terminal" ]
> then
>     export TERM=gnome
> fi
to my .bashrc will fix it but it's not pretty.

Thanks.

--
Nico.