Subject: bug#16981: 24.3.50; electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs broken in c-mode, python-mode, maybe-others

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 16:08:39 +0100

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hmmm now I remember that's it's even harder than defadvice to find the
>> extra code, docstring-wise I mean. How would a hacker discover we're
>> using the filter trick. describe-key doesn't help. .
>
> Right.  C-h k will give you the binding, but only when
> electric-pair-delete-pair would be run.  To make this trick more widely
> usable, we'd need to change C-h k so that it shows all "possible bindings".

Yes, I realized that later on.

In the meantime, we can use the trick that yasnippet uses
(documentation-function if I'm not mistaken) to show what other command
electric-pair-delete-pair is shadowing in that situation.

>> Anyway should I install it?
> If that's OK with you, yes.

Yes, I think it's cleaner than all alternatives, unless add-function is
the way to go for these situations.

> Bzr doesn't really know about cherry picking, but if you put
> "backported" into your commit message, our bzrmerge.el script
> will know that this commit is already in the trunk and will know how to
> avoid the corresponding conflicts when merging emacs-24 back into trunk.

Alright, I'll include "backported from trunk, revs x and y".