Subject: bug#16978: 24.3; SSL/TLS with multiple man-in-the-middle vulnerabilities

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:49:03 +0100

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:43:50 -0400, Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> said:

TZ> For storage of the certificates, I think
TZ> ~/.emacs.d/certs/hostname.somextension is the right place.  I
TZ> asked this on gnutls-devel a while ago so we can revisit the
TZ> discussion when we have the UI worked out.

Hi Ted,

GnuTLS uses the file ~/.gnutls/known_hosts.  I did not look into
this, but why do want to duplicate that functionality in Emacs?

JL> P.S. Self-signed certs are unusable now [...]

TZ> Hmm.  That seems a Gnus bug :) Can you submit it separately, to
TZ> keep the books clean, after testing with the latest Gnus?

Done: http://debbugs.gnu.org/17061

JL> P.P.S. I’m using imap.el, which knows of various ways to
JL> establish SSL/TLS connections, but gnutls.el is not among them.

TZ> I think you're on an old Gnus then, which is strange considering
TZ> you're testing with a recent Emacs.  What's `M-x gnus-version'?

v5.13 and Ma Gnus v0.10.  I’m using imap among `mail-sources' via
imap.el, not nnimap.  (The latter is on my todo list.)

Best wishes
Jens