Subject: 24.3.50; Flickering during frame creation for the NS-port with toolbar-mode enabled

From: Konrad Podczeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 20:12:21 +0100

Use the key combination C-x 5 2 to open a new frame. During creation of the new frame, there is an annoying flickering.

The flickering disappears, however, when tool-bar mode is disabled.

With or without toolbar-mode, there is no flickering during frame creation for emacs compiled with the option "--with-x".

So this flickering seems to be an NS-port specific bug.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2014-03-09 on bob.porkrind.org
Repository revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
`configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --build=i686-apple-darwin
--with-ns'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> C-x C-f d o c u m a n t s <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> e n t s / t e x f i l e s / 
b a l a t 2 - t e x <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> . t e x <return> C-x C-f p u r i f . t 
e x <return> M-x f i n d - f i l e - o SPC SPC <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <menu-bar> 
<file> <new-file> C-x 5 2 <menu-bar> <help-menu> <
send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "no such file or directory" "tex-site")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
balat2.tex has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
purif.tex has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Making completion list...
read-file-name-default: No file name specified [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode tex-mode compile shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring latexenc info easymenu package
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)