Subject: Re: bug#16959: 24.3.50; defadvice docstring out of date

From: Josh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:30:08 -0700

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>wrote:

> > Some specifics:
>
> Thanks Florian, this list is very helpful.  Just one comment:
>
> >  - Indeed, it seems the documentation is in the wrong order: from a
> user's
> > perspective, advice-add is what she usually wants and add-function
> > is a special case.
>
> Actually, add-function is likely to become more common with new hooks
> using a `*-function' variable modified via add-function rather than
> a `*-functions' modified via add-hook.

Somewhat relatedly, would you consider renaming advice-add to
add-advice (naturally with an alias for backward compatibility)?
It's easier to discover related functionality through tab
completion, apropos, etc. when its names share a common structure.
For example if I was looking for basename functionality and I knew
about file-name-directory, `C-h f file-name- TAB' would lead me to
`file-name-nondirectory' straightaway.