Subject: bug#16951: zless error under ulimit -v

From: Mark Nudelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:35:23 -0800

Hi Paul,
Since less-451, if LESSOPEN starts with two pipe chars, less does
examine the exit status of the preprocessor.  Is this what you're
looking for?

--Mark

On 3/6/2014 1:48 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Thanks for the bug report.  This bug occurs because 'less' ignores the
> exit status of gzip.  That is, 'less' uses the LESSOPEN environment
> variable to discover that gzip is the input processor, and uses gzip,
> but when it calls pclose on the resulting stream it discards the exit
> status returned by pclose.  'less' should inspect the exit status and
> report an error in that case.
> 
> I'll CC: this email to [email-masked] to give its developer a
> heads-up.  Mark, the original bug report is here:
> 
> http://bugs.gnu.org/16951