Subject: bug#16942: closed (Re: bug#16942: 24.3; replace-match does not return t as stated in the manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 02:12:03 +0000

Your bug report

#16942: 24.3; replace-match does not return t as stated in the manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16942: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16942
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16942: 24.3; replace-match does not return t as stated in the manual
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:11:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Phillip Lord wrote:

>>>From info node: `(elisp) Replacing Match' 
>
>      If you did the last search in a buffer, you should omit the STRING
>      argument or specify `nil' for it, and make sure that the current
>      buffer is the one in which you performed the last search.  Then
>      this function edits the buffer, replacing the matched text with
>      REPLACEMENT.  It leaves point at the end of the replacement text,
>      and returns `t'.
>     
> In my hands, replace-match returns nil regardless. The docstring does
> not mention the return type.

I simply undocumented the return value, since it was both uninteresting
and wrong.

Subject: 24.3; replace-match does not return t as stated in the manual
From: [email-masked] (Phillip Lord)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:01:19 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is a small documentation bug.

>From info node: `(elisp) Replacing Match' 

     If you did the last search in a buffer, you should omit the STRING
     argument or specify `nil' for it, and make sure that the current
     buffer is the one in which you performed the last search.  Then
     this function edits the buffer, replacing the matched text with
     REPLACEMENT.  It leaves point at the end of the replacement text,
     and returns `t'.

In my hands, replace-match returns nil regardless. The docstring does
not mention the return type.

Phil