Subject: bug#16925: closed (Re: 24.3.50: Failed select: resource temporarily unavailable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 06:35:03 +0000

Your bug report

#16925: 24.3.50: Failed select: resource temporarily unavailable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16925: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16925
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 24.3.50: Failed select: resource temporarily unavailable
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 22:34:17 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for reporting this.  I reproduced the bug on my platform (Fedora 
20 x86-64) and installed a patch that worked for me as trunk bzr 115987.

Subject: 24.3.50: Failed select: resource temporarily unavailable
From: Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:30:11 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

While working on http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16069,
I've used the following test function:

(defun bloat-font-frame ()
   (interactive)
   (while t
     (let ((fonts (progn (select-frame (make-frame-on-display ":0.0"))
                         (x-list-fonts "*"))))
       (while fonts
         (delete-frame)
         (select-frame (make-frame-on-display ":0.0"))
         (with-current-buffer "*scratch*"
           (erase-buffer)
           (condition-case nil
               (progn (set-frame-font (car fonts))
                      (set-frame-size nil 40 20))
             (error nil))
           (insert (format "This is %S" (car fonts))))
         (setq fonts (cdr fonts))
         (redisplay)
         (sleep-for 1.0)))))

Running with:

./src/emacs -Q -nw -l ../misc/bloat-font-frame.el

and then M-x bloat-font-frame, this works as expected with GTK and
--with-x-toolkit=no builds.  But with Lucid/Motif, it always fails
with error message "Failed select: resource temporarily unavailable", which
happens at process.c:4664 (as of trunk revision 116642).  100% reproducible,
with the backtrace pointed to Fsleep_for.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.4)
  of 2014-03-03 on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: 116642 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description:	Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=/not/exists --with-x-toolkit=motif
  --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC x b l o a t - f o TAB RET <help-echo> M-x r e p
o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
("/home/dima/work/emacs/build-motif/src/emacs" "-l" "../misc/bloat-font-frame.el")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
while: Failed select: resource temporarily unavailable

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting motif x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)