Subject: bug#16923: 24.3.50; reression: `set-frame-size' loses mode line

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:02:06 +0100

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I tried to give the (single-window) frame a minibuffer but was
> unsuccessful. I tried both
> M-: (set-frame-parameter nil 'minibuffer t) and
> M-: (modify-frame-parameters nil '((minibuffer . t))).
>
> Neither had any effect: the value of parameter `minibuffer' remained
> nil.  (Am I missing something here?  Is that another bug?)

AFAIK, you cannot change a frame's minibuffer state once it has been
created. It's not very clearly documented, or I couldn't find it, but
at least info node "(elisp)Minibuffers and Frames" tells

     However, you can also create a frame with no minibuffer.  Such a
  frame must use the minibuffer window of some other frame.  When you
  create the frame, you can explicitly specify the minibuffer window to
  use (in some other frame).  If you don't, then the minibuffer is found
  in the frame which is the value of the variable
  `default-minibuffer-frame'.  Its value should be a frame that does have
  a minibuffer.

and no reference is done to changing it afterwards.