Subject: bug#16923: 24.3.50; reression: `set-frame-size' loses mode line

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:11:24 +0100

Drew Adams schrieb:
 >>  > Just what are you asking me to check
 >>
 >> Whether the frame title part, the menu bar or any other decorations
 >> provided by Windows change when the modeline disappears.
 >
 > No, they do not change when the mode line disappears.
 >
 >> (defun foo ()...)
 >> (global-set-key [(control meta +)] 'foo)
 >> and look what it prints.
 >
 > 80
 >
 >> I suppose the values are different depending
 >> on when the modeline is present and when it is not.  Here the value is
 >> different when the menubar wraps or disappears, after F11, ...
 >
 > No, the value is not different when the mode line is present or missing.
 >
 > Yes, the value is different (25) when I toggle full screen or I resize
 > the frame so the menu bar no longer wraps.

 From the backtrace you attached earlier it's clearly visible that in 21
calls the value is 56.  And as I remarked earlier, this value is Windows
internal.  So unless we have some proof that Emacs is asking Windows to
do something like enlarging the title bar or wrapping the menu bar, we
must assume that Emacs sent so many resize requests in a row that it was
able to confuse Windows.

I have no idea how often you ask for changing the frame size in one and
the same redisplay cycle.  On Windows, without ConfigureNotify events, I
wouldn't issue more than one request per frame in one redisplay cycle.
Everything else means asking for trouble.

martin