Subject: bug#16917: 24.2; Electric pair mode in comments

From: Philip Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 15:26:22 -0800

electric-pair-mode should not auto-pair single quotes (apostrophes) in
strings or comments.

In those scenarios, it's not possible to tell if the single quote is going
to be part of a contraction or not, so the functionality should revert.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
 of 2012-08-28 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.2.9200
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: PHP

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  my-keys-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4>
<double-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <drag-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5>
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5>
<mouse-5> <lwindow> C-x h M-w <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4>
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> C-x
C-s C-c C-k <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-s c k <backspace> - k <down> C <backspace>
C-s c c <backspace> <backspace> C c C-s C-s C-s <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> C-s
<down> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> C-s c o p y y <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> C-s c o p y t - t h i s C-s <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> C-s c o p y - l
i n C-s C-s C-s <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-s c o p
y SPC t h i s SPC l i n <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> - t h i s C-s <up> <up> C-a C-k <backspace>
C-x C-s C-s c - n C-s C-x b * s <tab> <return> C-x
h <return> C-x h C-w / * <return> * <return> * / <up>
SPC T h i s SPC i s SPC a SPC c o m m e n t . <return>
* SPC H e r e SPC i s SPC a SPC s i n e l <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> p o
s i <backspace> s e s i v e SPC w i t h SPC e l e c
t i c SPC p a r i <backspace> <backspace> i r SPC m
o d e SPC t u r n e d SPC o n : <return> * SPC B o
b ' s SPC s t u f f M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b
u g <return>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...
Mark saved where search started [4 times]
byte-code: End of buffer [3 times]
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Saving file c:/Users/Philip/AppData/Roaming/.emacs...
Wrote c:/Users/Philip/AppData/Roaming/.emacs
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [2 times]
Indenting region... done
Mark set [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/ispell hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.2/site-lisp/ess/.dir-locals hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.2/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail rx php-mode speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe etags flymake compile comint ansi-color cc-langs cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs add-log regexp-opt thingatpt find-func autorevert misearch
multi-isearch calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs vc-git newcomment
git-auto-commit-mode-autoloads git-commit-mode-autoloads
magithub-autoloads finder-inf magit-autoloads info paren easy-mmode
warnings advice help-fns advice-preload electric edmacro kmacro package
tabulated-list ispell weblogger derived ring message format-spec rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader xml-rpc cl timezone url-http tls url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-cookie url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util password-cache url-gw url-vars mm-util
mail-prsvr xml dvi-view time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process multi-tty emacs)