Subject: bug#16913: Please extend case-fold-search on-the-fly toggling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:11:51 +0200

Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have started using rgrep a lot recently, but I notice that the only
> way to change its case sensitivity, other than manually editing the
> grep command, is to change case-fold-search.
>
> isearch now has the ability to toggle case-fold-search for a single
> search using M-c; please could we have something like this in all (or
> at least many more!) commands that use case-fold-search?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I'm not sure how the rgrep command could be extended here -- do you mean
that the user should type `M-c' at the first prompt to change
case-fold-search?  Or perhaps alter `read-regexp' to bind `M-c' to alter
case-fold-search?

Hm...  The latter seems like it could be generally useful, but I don't
see any practical way of implementing it.  I mean, we can't just set
case-fold-search here, because that would require all read-regexp
callers to bind it first.

Hm.  Anybody got any ideas?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no