Subject: bug#16904: 24.3; [PATCH] ff-find-other-file and friends now work with indirect clone buffers

From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:23:09 -0800

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Attached is a small patch that allows (ff-find-other-file) to work with
>> indirect clone buffers.
>
> Could you explain exactly what you use indirect-buffers for?
> These have so many shortcomings/bugs that it would be good to try and
> provide good replacements,

Hi.

I wasn't aware that use of indirect buffers is frowned-upon. Mostly
they've been working pretty well for me.

I usually use it to simultaneously look at different places in the same
file. Most of the time this is some long source code thing. It's nice to
have separate kill rings, mark rings, narrowing, etc.

The only issues I've encountered have to do with various functions not
recognizing that those buffers have a backing file. Those are
ff-find-other-file, vc-diff, etc. I suspect that making
(buffer-file-name) work for indirect buffers would resolve a lot of
these, but I don't know enough about the internals to propose that.

dima