Subject: bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 02:06:16 -0500

Glenn Morris wrote:

>> Perhaps upgrading Emacs installed some other packages, like curses or
>> terminfo, which could explain this?
>
> I assume the original Emacs was installed via rpm. It would have the
> versions of curses, terminfo etc that it requires specified as
> dependencies. You'd have to do something quite special to break that,
> and if you did, I imagine you'd get an Emacs that would simply not start
> (due to missing libraries), as well as a system that was pretty much
> broken altogether (because a huge number of packages depend on ncurses).

Oh maybe you are right... If newer versions of curses etc were installed
by hand, and if LD_LIBRARY_PATH or somesuch was set such that the
previously installed Emacs happened to find these before the ones it was
expecting. Seems very unlikely. They'd have to have the same .so
versions to be found at all. And I don't think that compiling 24.3 on
RHEL5 needs newer versions of those libraries anyway.

Anyway, I think there's no way you or I can say what happened on the
OP's machine.