Subject: bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 02:01:02 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 21:08:34 -0500
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> mfrey wrote:
>> 
>> > I recently upgraded to emacs 24.3.1 (built from source) in order to
>> > use a new mode for programming in D. I seem to have introduced some
>> > problem with my other modes now (Java, C++ C I'm just using whatever
>> > comes with emacs) even when going back to my previous version (21.1.1
>> > nox). When I scroll up/down in a buffer, the text displayed is totally
>> > messed up. As in lines mixed together, indentation screwy, cursor not
>> > modifying where it looks like it is. If I hit ctrl-l the screen
>> > refreshes and all is good. I noticed this problem every once in a
>> > while with my previous version when editing C .h files. But now it's
>> > happening on every single buffer.
>> 
>> Sorry, but I can't think of any way in which installing Emacs 24.3 could
>> cause a problem with your previous installation of 21.1.
>> I have no idea what to suggest.
>
> Perhaps upgrading Emacs installed some other packages, like curses or
> terminfo, which could explain this?

I assume the original Emacs was installed via rpm. It would have the
versions of curses, terminfo etc that it requires specified as
dependencies. You'd have to do something quite special to break that,
and if you did, I imagine you'd get an Emacs that would simply not start
(due to missing libraries), as well as a system that was pretty much
broken altogether (because a huge number of packages depend on ncurses).