Subject: bug#16885: closed (Re: bug#16885: [PATCH] libparted: don't require a system id string)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 04:19:03 +0000

Your bug report

#16885: Not recognizing FAT32 partition

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16885: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16885
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16885: [PATCH] libparted: don't require a system id string
From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 23:18:09 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've taken the liberty of pushing this patch without waiting for
review, given how trivial it is.

Subject: Not recognizing FAT32 partition
From: Edward Diener <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:48:32 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have a FAT32 logical partition on an MBR hard drive. The partition ID 
is 0xb and the partition is successfully shared between Windows7, 
Windows Vista, and various Linux distros.

In 'parted-3.1' if I 'print' the drive (/dev/sdc), the output does not 
show the type of the partition. If I try to use GParted to copy the 
partition to a backup drive, the copy always fails. Asking about this on 
the GParted forum I have received the information that the copy fails 
because 'parted' does not recognize the partition type, even though 
'gparted' shows it as a FAT32 partition.

How can I determine why 'parted' does not recognize the partition type ?

I have tried 'parted' from the GParted live, which uses a 2.3 patched 
version of 'parted' from Debian sid and I have tried 'parted' from 
Fedora 20, which uses the latest 3.1 version of 'parted'. The result is 
the same: 'parted' does no recognize the partition type of my FAT32 
partition.