Subject: Re: bug#16884: 24.3.50; desktop-read should not die on non-existing directories

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:49:23 +0100

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes. In just the same way as
>
> M-: (dired "/blargh") RET
>
> throws an error.
>
> This is all fine in normal use.

Well, I find it curious that dired of an empty directory or a failing
pattern match should throw an error (as I said, it doesn't on Windows
when using ls-lisp.el), but if that's the usual and time-honored
behavior, who am I to discuss it?

> But dired-restore-desktop-buffer should trap the "glob match fails" case
> in just the same way as it traps the "no such directory" case.

Yes, if (dired "/nonexistent") errors out, we should catch it when
restoring desktop.el. And it shouldn't ever be a with-demoted-errors,
failing to restore buffers in desktop.el is quite silent, just a
message at the end "X frames, Y buffers restored, Z failed to
restore."