Subject: bug#16882: 24.3.50; with-temp-buffer-window broken

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:34:22 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem is that `with-temp-buffer-window' should substitute
> `with-output-to-temp-buffer' and the latter doesn't make the buffer
> current.  As a matter of fact, the inconsistency you discovered could
> have led to output misleading text, for example, if BODY tried to print
> the value of the current buffer and that buffer would be that of the
> temporary buffer.  The idea is that from Emacs' POV the temporary buffer
> doesn't exist unless you consider standard output part of that view.
>
> I deeply apologize for the inconveniences this has caused you.  More so
> because if you hadn't reported this bug you would not have experienced
> them in the first place.  Nevertheless note that you have reported a bug
> which may have already caused people to misinterpret Help information
> without noting it.  So yours was a very valuable contribution.

Thanks for explanation.

> I sincerely hope that you can rearrange you code accordingly.

Done thanks, I have now a macro similar to `with-temp-buffer-window' but
that doesn't expect standard-output.

-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997