Subject: bug#16882: 24.3.50; with-temp-buffer-window broken

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:17:02 +0100

>> Note that with-temp-buffer-window's doc has always said:
 >>
 >>    "It does not make the buffer current for BODY."
 >
 > But the code was doing a different thing, you had better time to fix
 > docstring according to code instead of doing the contrary.
 > This make incompatible change between 24.3 and 24.4.

The problem is that `with-temp-buffer-window' should substitute
`with-output-to-temp-buffer' and the latter doesn't make the buffer
current.  As a matter of fact, the inconsistency you discovered could
have led to output misleading text, for example, if BODY tried to print
the value of the current buffer and that buffer would be that of the
temporary buffer.  The idea is that from Emacs' POV the temporary buffer
doesn't exist unless you consider standard output part of that view.

I deeply apologize for the inconveniences this has caused you.  More so
because if you hadn't reported this bug you would not have experienced
them in the first place.  Nevertheless note that you have reported a bug
which may have already caused people to misinterpret Help information
without noting it.  So yours was a very valuable contribution.

I sincerely hope that you can rearrange you code accordingly.

Thanks, martin