Subject: 24.3.50; gif animation continues even after killing buffer

From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:54:02 +0100

1) emacs -Q
2) M-x eww https://github.com/ShingoFukuyama/emacs-swoop RET
3) Wait for the emacs screenshot to load.
4) C-x k RET

I expect emacs to stop processing the animated gif. Instead emacs is
pegged at 100% cpu. Doing a C-z in the debugger shows it is still
processing the gif. This renders emacs unusable and I have to restart
it.

I think the slowness of rendering animated gif is a bug too. I know I
run on a under powered PC but Firefox has no problem rendering animated
gif.

^Z
Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
0xabeb40e3 in ?? ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ImageMagick-6.7.7/modules-Q16/coders/gif.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0xabeb40e3 in ?? ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ImageMagick-6.7.7/modules-Q16/coders/gif.so
#1  0xb706722a in ReadImage () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickCore.so.5
#2  0xb702ca32 in BlobToImage ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickCore.so.5
#3  0xb7341973 in MagickReadImageBlob ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickWand.so.5
#4  0x0825f74e in imagemagick_load_image (f=0x885a3e8, img=0x8d6d600, 
    contents=0x9a8ff24 "GIF89a[\003U\002w", size=7729394, filename=0x0)
    at image.c:8193
#5  0x08260373 in imagemagick_load (f=0x885a3e8, img=0x8d6d600) at image.c:8515
#6  0x0825658f in lookup_image (f=0x885a3e8, spec=143734606) at image.c:1694
#7  0x082552f5 in Fimage_metadata (spec=143734606, frame=140327874)
    at image.c:945
#8  0x081db61f in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffd7c4) at eval.c:2816

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.20)
 of 2014-02-08 on tao.kanis.fr
Repository revision: 116348 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/ivan/emacs-bzr --without-compress-install
 'CFLAGS=-g'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r p <backspace> e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> e <backspace> 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)