Subject: bug#16878: closed (Re: bug#16878: 24.3.50; gif animation continues even after killing buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:01:06 +0000

Your bug report

#16878: 24.3.50; gif animation continues even after killing buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16878: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16878
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16878: 24.3.50; gif animation continues even after killing buffer
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:00:01 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> teach image-animate-timeout to check that the buffer still exists,

Done.

Subject: 24.3.50; gif animation continues even after killing buffer
From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:54:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1) emacs -Q
2) M-x eww https://github.com/ShingoFukuyama/emacs-swoop RET
3) Wait for the emacs screenshot to load.
4) C-x k RET

I expect emacs to stop processing the animated gif. Instead emacs is
pegged at 100% cpu. Doing a C-z in the debugger shows it is still
processing the gif. This renders emacs unusable and I have to restart
it.

I think the slowness of rendering animated gif is a bug too. I know I
run on a under powered PC but Firefox has no problem rendering animated
gif.

^Z
Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
0xabeb40e3 in ?? ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ImageMagick-6.7.7/modules-Q16/coders/gif.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0xabeb40e3 in ?? ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ImageMagick-6.7.7/modules-Q16/coders/gif.so
#1  0xb706722a in ReadImage () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickCore.so.5
#2  0xb702ca32 in BlobToImage ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickCore.so.5
#3  0xb7341973 in MagickReadImageBlob ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickWand.so.5
#4  0x0825f74e in imagemagick_load_image (f=0x885a3e8, img=0x8d6d600, 
    contents=0x9a8ff24 "GIF89a[\003U\002w", size=7729394, filename=0x0)
    at image.c:8193
#5  0x08260373 in imagemagick_load (f=0x885a3e8, img=0x8d6d600) at image.c:8515
#6  0x0825658f in lookup_image (f=0x885a3e8, spec=143734606) at image.c:1694
#7  0x082552f5 in Fimage_metadata (spec=143734606, frame=140327874)
    at image.c:945
#8  0x081db61f in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffd7c4) at eval.c:2816

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.20)
 of 2014-02-08 on tao.kanis.fr
Repository revision: 116348 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/ivan/emacs-bzr --without-compress-install
 'CFLAGS=-g'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r p <backspace> e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> e <backspace> 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)