Subject: Re: bug#1687: emacs bug 1687

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:45:45 +0100

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:29, Relson, David <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've compared old and new copies of desktop.el, i.e.
>
>  49240 Aug 18  2007 c:/Program Files/GNU/ntemacs22/lisp/desktop.el
>  45692 Apr 12  2007 d:/Program Files/GNU/emacs-22.1/lisp/desktop.el
>
> And found the appearance of the PID message within the few months from
> April to August !

2007-06-24, to be exact. Three weeks after the release of 22.1.

> Letting the last instance of emacs overwrite the desktop is not a big
> deal.  Since multiple instances start with the same desktop, they'll be
> writing similar desktop files, so it's likely that little, or no,
> information will be lost.

Most of the time. Once or twice, just to keep you on your toes, you
will set up Emacs with lots of loaded files that you need for some
project, and then you'll overwrite the carefully laid desktop with an
empty desktop from a forgotten Emacs instance ;-)

> Because when I did a websearch for ntemacs 22.1.50 is what was found.

If you're using Emacs on Windows, you can download much more
up-to-date versions from here:

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

    Juanma