Subject: bug#16856: Enable fringe cursor when *almost* exact_window_width_line_p

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 22:11:42 +0000

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 10:50:41AM -0800, Keith David Bershatsky wrote:
> For those users who wish to customize the frame width pixelwise to a
> size such that exact_window_width_line_p will _never_ be true, those
> users miss out on the joy of seeing the fringe cursor bitmap. While
> the patch that was applied pursuant to Bug#16856 fixed the problem
> with the cursor being drawn on top of the fringe
> (e5015c5d9632a0bf685c093249ae4a7d3e825b13), it does not permit a
> fringe bitmap to be placed there instead.
> 
> If I had it to do all over again, I would have made the following
> two modifications. [I have not yet experimented with xterm.c and
> w32term.c to see if the new condition should be added there as well
> for Emacs platform builds on Windows and X11.]

This needs a bit more work I’m afraid. If you’re using a bar cursor it
can seem like it’s putting the cursor into the fringe somewhat
prematurely. I think it should be using the width of the cursor rather
than the glyph width.

Additionally I’ve attached a screenshot of the cursor in the fringe
when it shouldn’t be. It should appear over the last x on the line
(point is before the last x on the line).

David, I can’t replicate junk in the fringe. Do you have a recipe?
-- 
Alan Third