Subject: Re: [PATCH] Prevent cursor from over-drawing the fringe

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 08:35:36 +0100

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 09:33:52PM +0200, Anders Lindgren wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> I gave this patch a try.
> 
> It works well, the ns port now behaves like the win32 and gtk+ parts of
> Emacs.
> 
> Do you want me to push it to master?

If you could, thanks.

> Ps. When the text area doesn't partially overlap a column, the cursor can
> be drawn in the fringe. It's a bit unfortunate that when it do overlap,
> only the part of the cursor in the text area is drawn. A worst case
> scenario is that only a single pixel of the cursor is visible. An ideal
> solution would be to draw the cursor partially in the text area and
> partially in the fringe, but without leaving garbage behind when moved.
> However, this is nothing that we can solve here and now as it would require
> change to all emacs ports and possibly the core system.

Yeah, I was thinking about this but couldn't really see much of a way
around it. I checked the gtk+ and windows ports operated this way just
to be sure I wasn't introducing another bug as it does seem wrong. :)
-- 
Alan Third