Subject: bug#16846: 24.3.50.1; Info 48.2.4.1 Specifying File Variables

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:29:03 +0100

merge 16836 16846
quit

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Andreas Röhler
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> 48.2.4.1 Specifying File Variables
>
> Doesn't mention the required ";;;" before, saying:

It's not that ";;;" is required. The line used to specify local
variables is usually a comment because presumably the file is to be
processed by some kind of program (a compiler or interpreter, for
program source files, for example).

If you start an elisp file with

-*- mode: emacs-lisp; tab-width: 4 -*-

Emacs will have no trouble understanding the variables. Edit the file
and you'll see that it is in emacs-lisp-mode and tab-width is 4. But
when you eval the buffer, as you did in your bug#16836 report, Emacs
complains that the line is not valid Elisp code.

> see also bug-report bug#16836

Why have you filed two bug reports for the same thing?