Subject: bug#16846: acknowledged by developer ()

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:07:06 +0100

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Andreas Röhler
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Do you want  file-local variables restrict to text-mode?

That's a non sequitur.

> We must not discuss possible other bugs here. Let's stay with the reported
> one.

I see no bug. Neither the "possible other" nor the reported one.

> It rather says: implementation is not that straightforward as it
> could/should be.

It says nothing of the sort. It says: an elisp file with file
variables should still be an elisp file, a C one still has to have C
syntax, etc.

> It's at Emacs, when sending code, to clear its artistics before.

And, somehow, if you have a C file edited with Emacs and having a file
variable line, Emacs is to somehow know when you're about to compile
that file (outside Emacs) and "clear its artistics". Sorry, but it
makes no sense.

> Attach foo1.png - happens when evaluating a buffer with contents:
>
> ;;;;;;
>
>
> -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
>
> (setq foo 1)
>
> ;;;;;;

I still see no bug.

The way it works makes sense, and it's how it has worked for years. If
you want to file a bug report about the info node not being clear
enough of the obvious need to put the file variables in a comment or
another suitable way to protect them from the file content's consumer,
please suit yourself. But the behavior that you're suggesting, that
somehow Emacs should remove the file variables before passing it (to
the Elisp interpreter or anywhere else) is not going to be
implemented.

   J