Subject: bug#16843: Error caused due to regression in git

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:05:50 -0700

On 02/24/2014 12:53 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> Yay - you confirmed that the solution that works for both versions of
> git is to ensure that we provide exactly one argument to the foreach
> command, where that argument gets passed through the shell with
> identical results.  I'll patch maint.mk shortly.

Actually, it turns out that the problem has already been fixed upstream:

commit 7a0c729aacc3716a665ce3b0c8cb34843bdecc75
Author: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date:   Wed Jan 1 20:25:44 2014 -0800

    maint: fix public-submodule-commit to work with newer git

    * top/maint.mk (public-submodule-commit): Remove excess quoting.
    We were over-quoting the test arguments, and somewhere prior to
    version 1.8.5.2.229, git stopped removing those excess quotes,
    which made the test fail, since the unexpanded strings would
    always differ; using GIT_TRACE=1 confirmed that the git merge-base
    command wasn't even being run.

So all that remains now is for the package you were complaining about to
upgrade to a newer version of gnulib that plays nicely with git 1.9 and
newer.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org