Subject: bug#16839: 24.3.50; image-mode-fit-frame fails to use all display space with image larger than display

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:54:41 -0400

At 21:00 -0400 on Friday 2014-02-21, N. Jackson wrote:

> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. C-x C-f big-image.jpg
> 3. M-x image-mode-fit-frame

> Frame size increases to a size slightly less that the maximum that will
> fit on the display. There is a gap above the frame of about the height
> of the title bar, a gap below the frame about a pixel high, and a gap to
> the left of the frame maybe three pixels wide.

Setting frame-resize-pixelwise to t works around this problem.

> Furthermore, the size of this frame does not seem to be recorded
> wherever such parameters normally are (in Emacs or the windowing
> system?), so that if I maximise the frame (logo key and up arrow) and
> then "restore" it (logo key and down arrow), it does not return to the
> size it was before I maximised it, nor to the size it was before I
> issued the image-mode-fit-frame command, but to some intermediate size.

But frame-resize-pixelwise doesn't help with the frame not "remembering"
what size to restore to.