Subject: Re: bug#16837: 24.3.50; Allow a HISTORY arg for `read-file-name', `read-file-name-default'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 06:45:58 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, that seems potentially useful.  It currently uses the hard-coded
> `file-name-history' history.
>
> Anybody have any objections to adding this?  I see one possible
> complication -- it'll be Yet Another Optional Parameter that has to be
> passed on to `read-file-name-function', and if somebody has defined that
> to take fewer parameters, it'll bomb...

And thinking about this for five more years, I think that's a pretty
serious objection -- the argument list is part of the API here, so we
can't really just add another parameter here.

So people that want a different history variable here will have to make
their own `read-file-name-function' function.

Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no