Subject: bug#16835: grep-2.18 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:22:06 -0800

This is to announce grep-2.18, a stable bug-fix-only release.

There have been 7 commits by 2 people in the 3 days since 2.17.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
Special thanks to Norihiro Tanaka for spotting grep-2.17's
performance regression so quickly.
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Jim Meyering (5)
  Paul Eggert (2)

Jim [on behalf of the grep maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU grep home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/grep/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=grep.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.18
or run this command from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git shortlog v2.17..v2.18

To summarize the -2 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git checkout v2.18
  git submodule summary v2.17

Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.18.tar.xz
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.18.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.18.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.18.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify grep-2.18.tar.xz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.117-1717
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-76-g497f4cd

==================================================================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.18 (2014-02-20) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  grep no longer mishandles patterns like [^^-~] in unibyte locales.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.8]

  grep -i in a multibyte, non-UTF8 locale could be up to 200 times slower
  than in 2.16.  [bug introduced in grep-2.17]

[ Also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7888 ]