Subject: Re: bug#16828: 24.3.50; eval-expression, character representation of integer results time-consuming

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 14:16:52 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: [email-masked]
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 13:39:52 -0400
>> 
>> > What about a special value of prefix argument, like zero?  If that's
>> > OK, it's more convenient than any of the above.
>> 
>> Sure, it's just a matter of deciding how to fit this in with the
>> existing interpretation of the prefix argument.  Right now, a non-nil
>> prefix argument means to insert the result into the buffer.
>
> Yes, I propose that the current behavior wrt the argument will be left
> unchanged, except when the argument is zero, i.e. "C-u 0".

Currently, zero also means no truncation, keeping that meaning seems
important too.  Perhaps a negative argument would be a better choice?

Excerpt from current docstring:

    Optional argument INSERT-VALUE non-nil (interactively, with
    prefix argument) means insert the result into the current buffer
    instead of printing it in the echo area.

    Normally, this function truncates long output according to the value
    of the variables `eval-expression-print-length' and
    `eval-expression-print-level'.  With a prefix argument of zero,
    however, there is no such truncation.