Subject: 24.3.50; eval-expression, character representation of integer results time-consuming

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:01:36 +0100

The command `eval-expression' prints integer results both as decimal, hex,
octal, and (sometimes) as a character.

Some integers take a very long time to print, probably due to the fact that
it takes a long time to find a suitable font to render the character
variant in. The slow-down typically only occur once.

Steps to repeat:

    M-: 3200 RET

Here, it takes 22.5 seconds for Emacs to respond: 3200 (#o6200, #xc80)

Under 24.3 this was fast (well under a second).

This is on OS X 10.9 -- I haven't got access to any other system to test
this on.

In addition, sometimes it looks like the echo area splits the text into two
parts, effective only showing the second part. Unfortunately, I haven't
figured out when and how this occurs. Anyway, when it does, the *Messages*
buffer look like:

3200
 (#o6200, #xc80)
3200 (#o6200, #xc80) [2 times]

A simple solution would be to suppress printing of characters outside the
0-255 range (or at least give the user an option to do so).

Sincerely,
    Anders Lindgren

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2014-02-16 on macpro.lan
Repository revision: 116451
[email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> : 3 2 0 0 <return> <escape> x r e p o s r
t - <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> t <backspace>
<backspace> r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
3200 (#o6200, #xc80)
<s-backspace> is undefined [2 times]
s-b is undefined

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils mule-util time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)