Subject: Re: bug#16822: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode adds confusion to active region

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:45:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I admit that I don't understand the problem.  Why should the display
> be different in these two cases?  It sounds like the (unspelled-out)
> assumption is that showing the region is more important than showing
> the (mis)matched parens?  But if this is the assumption, then I don't
> think I agree: show-paren-mode is for _temporary_ display of the
> parens, so if it temporarily obscures the region, it's perfectly okay.
>
> Adding a new face would bump into the problem of making sure the
> colors of this new face are always visible and distinguishable from
> the other two colors.  I don't see how that could work reliably.

I was thinking that perhaps the region-blink-face would tweak the
foreground (while the normal only tweaks the background), so by merging
we'd see some difference.

But you're right -- it's hard to see what the use case here is, really,
beyond "it'd be nice".  So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no