Subject: Re: bug#16822: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode adds confusion to active region

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 06:59:21 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> When show-paren-mode is on, it adds confusion to the active
> region. Suppose I have some text which is (hello),
>
> 1. I set the region to (hello and place the cursor on the left paren.
> 2. I set the region to (hello) and place the cursor on the left paren.
>
> Note that in Case 1, the right paren is not part of the region while in
> Case 2 it is. In the two cases above, I get exactly the same color on
> the screen, then how can I distinguish between these two different
> cases?

This is still the case in Emacs 28.  Whether I put the mark after the
"o" or after the ")", and then go to the start of the line (in
*scratch*), I get this displayed:

Perhaps the solution here is just to introduce a new face for parens
that are part of the region?  Any opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no