Subject: 24.3; fill-paragraph adds garbage text

From: Patrick Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:01:12 -0800

(Apologies if this email was received twice)

Executing M-q, bound to fill-paragraph, results in a wrapped paragraph
with extra text inserted. The extra text is generally something that has
been typed elsewhere in the buffer. The example that caused me to file
this report is as follows, where each line of the actual text is prefixed
with '    >'

    ---- Original text ----
    >        data : dict
    >            A mapping to Task objects in JSON form, or None.
    >
    >        Notes
    >        -----
    >
    >        JSON doesn't support integer keys in dictionaries, but we
assume they

    ---- Result ----
    >        data : dict
    >            A mapping to Task objects in JSON form, or None.
    >
    >        Notes
    >        -----
    >
    >        JSON doesn't support integer keys in dictionaries, but we
    >            A mapping to Task objects in JSON form, or Noneassume they

It was triggered by hitting M-q with the cursor just after the string
'they'.

I have encountered this bug before; I resolve the issue by quitting
Emacs and launching again.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-07-26 on roseapple, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:    Ubuntu 13.10

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC ( k , SPC v ) SPC i n SPC s e l f . _ d a t a .
t i e m s <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> i t m <backspace> e m s ( ) } C-SPC C-n
C-n C-n C-w C-n C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-e C-w C-l C-p C-n C-k
C-n C-n C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-p
C-b C-b C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-e <return> <return>
N o t e s <return> - - - - - <return> <return> J S
O N SPC d o e s n ' t SPC s u p p o r t SPC i n t e
g e r SPC k e y s SPC i n SPC d i c t i o n a r i e
s , SPC b u t SPC w e SPC a s s u m e SPC t h e y M-q
<tab> C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b
C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-/ C-/ M-q C-/ C-x C-s M-q C-/
C-h k M-q q <backspace> C-x o q k M-q C-/ C-h k M-q
C-x o q <help-echo> M-q C-/ M-q C-/ M-x r e p o <tab>
r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/prsteele/Documents/Development/task/task/task_list.py...
Wrote /home/prsteele/Documents/Development/task/task/task_list.py
Undo!
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
Auto-saving...done
Undo!
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
Auto-saving...done
Undo! [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/prsteele/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-6.5.5/color-theme hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert hides
/home/prsteele/.emacs.d/auto-complete/lib/ert/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert-x hides
/home/prsteele/.emacs.d/auto-complete/lib/ert/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert-x

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils help-mode
python rx comint ring ansi-color go-mode url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap ffap url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars thingatpt
find-func vc-git eldoc derived go-mode-load color-theme wid-edit paren
auto-complete-config auto-complete advice advice-preload popup edmacro
kmacro help-fns cl-macs gv cl cl-lib color-theme-autoloads
geiser-autoloads info easymenu rust-mode-autoloads cm-mode-autoloads
sass-mode-autoloads haml-mode-autoloads finder-inf package
emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)