Subject: Re: bug#16793: window-state-put needs a live window

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:36:22 +0100

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> [ The X-Debbugs-Cc should be in the email header, not in the here
>   pseudo-header.  Welcome to Debbugs ;-)  ]

[ It works here too. At least it worked all other times I've used it ;-) ]

> I don't understand what this means.  Why would the frame's root window
> not be alive?  Is it because it's an "internal" window (because of
> a split)?

Yes.

>  deleting a frame and creating a new one is definitely not
> a good idea, since it can have all kinds of unintended side-effects,
> depending on the window manager.

I just committed a workaround for this issue: deleting all windows
except the first one in the relevant frame if its root window isn't
alive.

But I still think that getting a window-state for a window and putting
it again into the same window should always be allowed, unless Martin
has a good reason why that symmetry is a bad idea.