Subject: grep-2.17 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:27:00 -0800

This is to announce grep-2.17, a stable release.
This release is notable for its performance improvements:
we don't often see a 10x speed-up in a tool like grep.

There have been 19 commits by 8 people in the 7 weeks since 2.16.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Aharon Robbins (1)
  Benno Schulenberg (2)
  Jim Meyering (7)
  Mike Frysinger (1)
  Norihiro Tanaka (3)
  Paolo Bonzini (1)
  Paul Eggert (3)
  Pádraig Brady (1)

Jim [on behalf of the grep maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU grep home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/grep/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=grep.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.17
or run this command from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git shortlog v2.16..v2.17

To summarize the 26 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git checkout v2.17
  git submodule summary v2.16

================================
Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.17.tar.xz
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.17.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.17.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.17.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify grep-2.17.tar.xz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.117-1717
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-76-g497f4cd

================================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.17 (2014-02-17) [stable]

** Improvements

  grep -i in a multibyte locale is now typically 10 times faster
  for patterns that do not contain \ or [.

  grep (without -i) in a multibyte locale is now up to 7 times faster
  when processing many matched lines.

** Maintenance

  grep's --mmap option was disabled in March of 2010, and began to
  elicit a warning in January of 2012.  Now it is completely gone.

================================
also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7885