Subject: bug#16784: 24.3; Problems opening NNTP connection: failing starttls because of a non-verified certificate

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:14:12 +0100

Steinar Bang <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:
> SB> I would like one of the following solutions:
> SB> 1. The possibility to switch off the attempted upgrade to STARTTLS for
> SB> NNTP connections
>
>>> I think Lars has to give an opinion here.
>
>> I think we should always do encryption, even though we can't do validation.
>
> The reason I asked for this, is that if an ecryption I didn't ask for
> causes the connection to fail, I would like to be able to turn it off
> and have my unsafe connection.

Yeah, but I's saying that the connection shouldn't fail.  >"?  If you
didn't ask for encryption, but Emacs decides to do STARTTLS anyway, then
Emacs should not do identity validation.

Except perhaps just issue a message saying "couldn't validate TLS
identity" or something at the most.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no