Subject: Re: bug#16772: Failure in "make install" on MS-Windows

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:57:02 +0100

>> I've tried the patch:  I've gone to the build directory and done "make
>> install prefix='../myinstalldir' GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG=".  The process
>> has ended up this way:
>
> Don't change `prefix' at install time.
> You should only set prefix with configure.

I'm following the procedure documented in "nt/INSTALL", which says this:

  4. Install the produced binaries:

       make install

     If you want the installation tree to go to a place that is
     different from the one specified by --prefix, say

       make install prefix=/where/ever/you/want

If that procedure is wrong, please fix it.  But FWIW, I've
successfully made many binary distributions in the last months
following that same procedure.

> And if you try, it will say:
>
>   configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix:
>     ../myinstalldir

No, it says something different: I've just tried this, from a build
directory holding a bootstrap of the trunk (r116453):

  make install prefix=/c/tmp/dir2 GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG=

The make process, after writing many messages to the terminal, has
failed with this snippet:

  Installing utilities for users to run.
  umask 022; /bin/mkdir -p "/c/tmp/dir2/bin"
  for file in runemacs.exe addpm.exe ; do \
    /bin/install -c  ${file} "/c/tmp/dir2/bin"/`echo ${file} | sed -e
's/.exe$//' -e 's,x,x,'`.exe ; \
  done
  /bin/install -c -m 644 README.W32 "/c/tmp/dir2/share/emacs/24.3.50"
  /bin/install: cannot stat `README.W32': No such file or directory
  Makefile:168: recipe for target `install' failed
  make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/dani/emacs/build/nt'
  Makefile:509: recipe for target `install-nt' failed
  make: *** [install-nt] Error 2

And then I've applied the patch sent by Juanma, and tried again.  This
time the installation seems to be successful, and I see the file
"<my-install-dir>/share/emacs/24.3.50/README.W32", as expected.

So please, Juanma, could you commit your patch?  TIA

-- 
Dani Moncayo