Subject: bug#16772: Failure in "make install" on MS-Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 03:41:02 +0100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I guess he's doing an out-of-tree build.
> Prob you want
>
> $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/README.W32 ...

Aha, I think you're right. Thanks!

Dani, could you please try this patch?

=== modified file 'nt/Makefile.in'
--- nt/Makefile.in 2014-02-13 03:19:57 +0000
+++ nt/Makefile.in 2014-02-17 02:37:26 +0000
@@ -172,5 +172,5 @@
   $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $(INSTALL_STRIP) $${file}
"$(DESTDIR)${bindir}"/`echo $${file} | sed -e 's/${EXEEXT}$$//' -e
'$(TRANSFORM)'`${EXEEXT} ; \
  done
- $(INSTALL_DATA) README.W32 "$(DESTDIR)${datadir}/emacs/$(version)"
+ $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/README.W32 "$(DESTDIR)${datadir}/emacs/$(version)"

 uninstall:

> But why is this file being installed anyway?
> Eg a POSIX build does not install the top-level README anywhere.

Drew asked for it, and Eli suggested the share/emacs/VERSION location.

IMO including it is a good idea, because nt/README.W32 is not related
to building Emacs on Windows, but installing it (where to find image,
GnuTLS and libxml2 libraries, running Emacs on Windows 9X, describing
the different programs) and uninstalling it.