Subject: Re: 23.0.60; GNUS groups and non ascii characters: mails disappear

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:27:30 -0500

Here is a bug against Gnus with Emacs CVS.  Could you guys take a look?
Thanks.

Sebastian Rose <[email-masked]> wrote:

I use a group name containing the german letter `ö'. My whole Debian
System is utf-8 based and I save all files (.emacs, .gnus.el....) in
utf-8 by default.

Here is the relevant part of an example .gnus.el:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("list:monotone-devel" "Subject:.*\\[Monotone-devel\\]")
        ("list:emacs-devel" "To:[email-masked]")
        ("unmöglich" "\\(To\\|CC\\|Sender\\|From\\):[email-masked]")
        ("mail:eingang" "")
        ))

In the group buffer `unmöglich' is displayed as

 nnml:unm\366glich

When I fetch new mails, the line in the group buffer changes as expected
to 

  6: nnml:unm\336glich

Moving point to that line and pressing SPACE, that is
(gnus-group-read-group &optional all no-article group select-articles),
makes all the mails disapear again, and the line looks like I have no
mails in that group anymore:

  0: nnml:unm\336glich

The summarybuffer does not open up. If the summary buffer was opened
already, it's contents are not changed to reflect the contents of
`unmöglich'.

sh$ ls -l ~/emacs/gnus/Mail/
drwxr-xr-x 2 sebastian sebastian    4096 23. Dez 12:48 unmöglich
drwxr-xr-x 2 sebastian sebastian    4096 23. Dez 15:12 unm?glich

...revealsI have two directories for this group, both of which were
touched today:

`unmöglich' was touched when I started emacs/gnus.
            This is, where I found 3 out of 6 mails (maybe the `6: ...'
            was wrong in the group buffer?).
`unm?glich' was touched when I fetched Mail (or when I hit the spacebar
            in the group buffer - not shure yet).
            This one is empty.