Subject: RE: bug#16763: 24.3.50; electric-indent annoyance: C-j doesn't indent

From: "T. V. Raman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 13:48:53 -0800

The source code docs need to be fixed too
>>>>> "Drew" == Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> This has been bothering me for a while when writing lisp
    >> code -- started happening roughly a few months ago.
    Drew> 
    Drew> Yup.
    Drew> 
    >> I always hit C-j for newline, and a couple of months ago,
    >> this stopped indenting -- by default C-j runs control j
    >> runs the command electric-indent-just-newline when
    >> electric-indent-mode is on.
    >> 
    >> The documentation for electric-mode indicates that
    >> indentation will be invoked when you type any of the chars
    >> in electric-indent-chars -- and that variable is set to a
    >> list containing ?\n which is ascii 10; yet, C-j invokes a
    >> command that explicitly only inserts a newline? (feeling
    >> very confused)
    Drew> 
    Drew> It is not yet reflected in NEWS or the manuals, but
    Drew> `C-j' and `RET' have been effectively swapped: `RET'
    Drew> now indents and `C-j' does not indent.
    Drew> 
    Drew> The new behavior was apparently adopted to make Emacs
    Drew> correspond better with what newbie users expect, based
    Drew> on their experience with other editors and IDEs.
    Drew> 
    Drew> You are not alone in "feeling very
    Drew> confused". Hopefully, the NEWS entry covering this, and
    Drew> perhaps the manuals, will explain the best and simplest
    Drew> way to restore the previous, longstanding behavior for
    Drew> those who might prefer it. Otherwise, you can just
    Drew> retrain your fingers. ;-)