Subject: bug#16762: closed (Re: bug#16762: Installed packages are not considered part of the archive contents)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 22:40:25 +0000

Your bug report

#16762: Installed packages are not considered part of the archive contents

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16762: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16762
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16762: Installed packages are not considered part of the archive contents
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Johan Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 00:39:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

On 24.03.2014 20:17, Stefan wrote:

> OK.  Then let's try it on `emacs-24' and keep our fingers crossed,

Fingers crossed now. emacs-24, r116854.

Subject: Installed packages are not considered part of the archive contents
From: Johan Andersson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:06:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I have noticed a change of behavior in package.el between version 24.3.1
and current snapshot version.

In snapshot, if a package is installed with the most recent version, it is
not added to the variable package-archive-contents. I don't know the reason
for this, but I don't think it makes sense. Even if the package is
installed, it is still part of the package archives in my opinion.

You have to realize that other packages (such as https://github.com/cask/epl)
depend on the internals of package.el because it does not have an API (for
some reason). Considering Epl is a dependency to Cask and a lot of people
are using Cask, this change will affect many users.

With this change, how can I know if a package is available, no matter if
it's installed or not?

Thanks!